5 BEST PHOTOS:
4 MOST INTERESTING FACTS:
- Over 400 people attended the WISE program series, reaching over 160,000 people on social media.
- More solar panels were installed in New York in 2014 than in all previous years combined.
- Under the de Blasio administration, over 50% of the heads of agencies are women.
- Recycling has yet to be fully integrated into NYCHA housing.
3 MOST MEMORABLE QUOTES:
“When my daughter is an adult, there could be 15 billion people in the world. It’s staggering. And we have to find the clean water to drink, we have to grow the food to eat, and we have to harness the energy to power that world.”
– Jill Anderson, on population growth
“We had over 70 city agencies involved in the development of OneNYC. As I look back on it now, I think “How did we ever pull that off?” But we did! 2025 marks the 400th anniversary of New York City. That means that in 10 years, we will be launching our next century. What is it that New York City needs in order to flourish for the next 100 years?”
– Nilda Mesa, on OneNYC
“I find that it is important to break out of the discipline sometimes. It was a big advantage for me to have spent a number of years in the early part of my career in California, and it was an advantage to have grown up in the midwest. And it was also really good for me to have grown up as an immigrant kid. This different experiences teach you how to adapt to all different circumstances.”
– Nilda Mesa, on the benefits of diverse experiences
2 MOST THOUGHTFUL AUDIENCE QUESTIONS:
Q1: What can we do to address the harmful social norms around waste in New York City?
Q2: How do we ensure reliability, resiliency, and affordability as we incorporate renewable and nuclear energy sources into our grid?
1 BIG THANK YOU
Thank you to everyone who supported WISE. Our success would not have been possible without you. We look forward to seeing you at our next WISE event later this year!